Moving is a big task, and some people delay starting because they don’t know where to start. That, of course, only makes it worse because then they have less time to get the same amount of work done. Read on for valuable tips that can help relieve some of the inevitable stress that will arise in the days leading up to your move.
How Early Should I Pack for a Move?
A one-size-fits-all timeline doesn’t exist because packing a one-bedroom apartment won’t take as long as packing a three-bedroom house. That said, some guidelines can help you plan regardless of the amount of belongings you need to pack.
- The first step is to begin decluttering as soon as you start thinking about moving. You’ll save money, unpacking time, and aggravation by not moving things you no longer need. It’s never too early to do this step.
- Next, either pack or store items you won’t need for several months, like holiday decorations for events nearly a year away, sentimental items you want to keep but don’t need around. If you own cookware and serving pieces only get used for entertaining and parties, this is the time to pack those as well.
If your current residence is small, putting these items into storage can be an ideal option. It means fewer boxes to deal with while packing more essential options. Seasonal clothing you won’t need can also be stored for now – but get rid of clothing and items you no longer need.
- Next, about six to eight weeks before the move, begin packing decorative items, books, and other items that you won’t need until after the move. Depending upon the size of your place, you may need to adjust this date, but earlier is better than later.
- At four to six weeks before the move, continue packing the items you’ll need the least. In the last month, you’ll wrap up packing while leaving the essential items for last.
What Should I Pack First When Moving?
The rule of thumb for moving is to pack first what you won’t need for the longest time. Essentials that you use daily, or at least every week, go last.
When packing for a move, thinking about rooms helps, starting with the rooms you use the least. So if you have a garage, pack that first – though keep essential tools handy that you might need during moving.
After the garage, pack the attic and basement if you have them. Any rooms that are primarily for storage go next, as do guest bedrooms if you have them.
After that, pack non-essentials in other areas of the house, such as decorations, books, out-of-season items and clothing, party-ware, etc. Keep going until you have only essential items like clothing, cookware, plates, and such that you’ll need until the end. Even so, if you’re a household of two people, considering packing all but 2-4 plates and glasses to minimize the amount of last-minute packing.
How Do You Purge and Pack for a Move?
Purging unnecessary items can start as early as you want before moving. The more you reduce your number of belongings, the easier, quicker, and less expensive your move will be.
Ask yourself these questions to let go of clutter:
- How often do you use it? If it’s been more than a year, you can probably let it go unless it has sentimental value.
- Do you love it? We keep too much we dislike due to a sense of obligation. Move on, and let it go.
- If it’s sentimental, do you need this particular item? We often hold onto too much when one is enough.
For example, do you need one of the wedding favors, your dress, a preserved bouquet, your wedding album, and more to remember your wedding day? Isn’t the album and/or video enough? If handing down a wedding dress is a tradition in your family (or one you want to start), fine, but you don’t need 20 different items to remember one event.
To make sure you remember other essential details and when to handle them, like researching moving companies, changing utilities and more, use this moving and pre-packing checklist.
Another way to reduce your moving day boxes is to store things you won’t need for a while, like out-of-season items. Box&Co can help with easy pickup and delivery storage options.
Box&Co Makes Moving Easier
Put out-of-season items into storage to free up space while packing to move. Box&Co can make it incredibly easy for you. All you have to do is ask for our eco-friendly storage containers, and we’ll deliver them to you. Just pack your items, and when you’re ready, we’ll pick the containers up and store them for you. When you need your things back, request them with the click of a button, thanks to our online inventory system. To learn more about our valet delivery service, contact us by email or call 1-855-692-6926.