Moving can happen at any time of the year, but no matter when you do it or the reason, most people hate it. The boxes, the packing, the hassle – it’s not fun. Let Box&Co. help with a moving guide that includes packing tips and tricks. Also make sure to check out our college moving guide, even if you aren’t a student. It has more great moving tips.
When Should I Start Packing to Move?
It’s almost impossible to start packing too soon. So long as you keep the essentials around, prepping and packing as soon as possible will make your move easier and less rushed.
How Can I Make Moving Easier?
- Get rid of what you don’t need. That will save you money, time, and aggravation. If it’s a long-distance move, getting rid of heavy items you don’t use much can also be a good idea. A little sorting and purging early in the packing process can save you many headaches later.
- Label your boxes and make a list of what’s in each box. The time it takes on the front end will save you hours of stress when you’re in your new place.
- Even better, use colored adhesive dots or colored tape to color code boxes for the room they’ll go to upon arrival. That will save you a lot of time. Even better, make a sheet with the color-coding, like red = bedroom, blue = kitchen, etc., and tape that to the door the movers are using. This way they can just glance at it as they’re coming and going. Don’t even write “red” or “blue” on the sheet. Put one of the stickers or a piece of the tape on the sheet next to the name of the room it matches.
- Avoid packing boxes so that they’re too heavy – they could break. Putting heavy items in the smallest box that makes sense is the better solution.
- Full boxes stack better and are more secure. Fill gaps with smaller items, towels, packing material, etc.
- Whether you’re using a moving company or renting a truck and moving yourself, ask the companies you’re considering what precautions they’re taking to stay COVID safe. Do they sanitize the trucks, dollies, etc. Are employees required to wear masks or is it just optional? Ask them what recommendations they have for your while packing and moving. That will give you some idea of how well they’ve thought things out. Ask them what happens if a member of their team shows COVID symptoms or is diagnosed.
- Maintain all standard COVID-19 protocols, such as wearing a mask, maintaining social distancing, don’t shake hands, wash your hands often, etc. It might be a smart idea to carry a bag with hand soap and paper towels with you on moving day so you and everyone else involved can wash their hands as often as needed. Also make sure to disinfect your new home before you move in and before you unpack.
Box&Co. can make your move easier – even if it’s a long-distance move. Sign up with us and we’ll provide containers and inventory sheets. Pack your non-essential items in them, give us a call, and we’ll pick them up and store them until you need them. Then you can order just certain boxes or all of them. Moving long distance? We can ship them to you when you’re ready. It doesn’t get much easier than that.
If you started packing early and aren’t sure what to do with the boxes in the meantime, this option also works. Storing the earliest items that you packed with us at Box&Co. ensures that you won’t have too much stuff underfoot, you’ll be making progress, and then you can have them delivered to your new location when ready.
How Do I Pack More Effectively?
When disassembling furniture for the move, take photographs as you go. That way you can see the sequence for reassembly. Put small parts in a zip-sealing plastic bag and tape that to the item so you don’t lose it.
Additional Moving Tips:
- Keep breakables together and in sturdy boxes. Use towels, sheets, and clothing to wrap and pad fragile items and save money on packing material and bubble wrap.
- Ask to be the first job of the day. The crew will be fresh, and they won’t run late.
- Order full-value replacement insurance. If not, you’ll just be paid pennies on the dollar.
- Check the moving contract details to avoid surprises.
- A slightly larger moving truck is better than a too-small one.
- Avoid end-of-month moves if possible to save money.
- Have an “open first” box for essentials and move it yourself if possible.
- Make sure you have your chargers handy.
- In the new place, set up your bed first and know where the sheets for it are.
- Plan on takeout for the first few nights.
When talking about packing tips and tricks, the right accessories will also make a huge difference. Buzzfeed put together a terrific list of items, some of which you can rent, that will make your moving easier.
Box&Co Can Make Your Move Easier
Planning a move? Box&Co. can help. Request some of our sturdy plastic storage containers. We’ll pick them up and store them until you need them. Moving out of the area? We can ship them to your new home or business. The return process is made even easier because you can keep track of your stored items online. To learn more, please contact us or give us a call today at 1-855-692-6926.